We all have bad habits at home, but some of us have even worse habits while driving. This leads to careless driving and increased accidents. Here are the most common distracted driving habits and how you can avoid this.
1. Texting and Driving- We all know this is illegal in Regina, however many of us still text and drive. Don’t leave your phone in between your legs because you enjoy the vibration, stow it away in your purse or glove compartment until you have stopped. Don’t worry, you’re friends will still be your friends if you don’t answer their text message within 3.25 seconds.
2. Applying makeup while driving- Why would you want to apply your makeup in the car anyways? The mirror is so small you may end up putting eyeshadow on your cheeks by accident or end up looking like Mimi from the Drew Carey Show. Here’s a tip- wake up 10 minutes earlier in the morning so you actually have time to put your make up on. Accidentally slept in? Throw your makeup in a travel case and apply it once you get to work.
3. Reading a book while driving- We all know long road trips can be boring and you want to read a book to pass the time. But there is such thing as an audio book silly! Play it in your car while driving and listen to the book rather than read it. This helps for those that can’t read all that too. It’s a win win situation really.
4. Driving while half asleep- If it’s late at night or too early in the morning, grab yourself some caffeine or energy drinks. This will help you stay awake. Always drive with another person if you are feeling a little tired so that they can keep you company. If you absolutely cannot keep those peepers open, pull over and have a nap so that you can refuel.
5.Knitting a blanket- That is so thoughtful you want your niece or baby brother to be warm, but that’s what their clothes are for… duh?!
6. Painting your nails- I know sometimes chipped nail polish can be a little bit embarrassing, but no guy will really even notice. Unless he has some sort of creepy hand feddish, but then who really cares because he’s a creep, right?
7. Skyping with your mom- As much as we all love our moms, I’m sure she wants you alive and willunderstand that she cannot Skype with you every time its convenient for her. Once you’ve parked your car and got home then you can Skype her back and show her your new haircut and everything else she wants to know about your life.
8. Dogs on your lap- We all love our furry little friends and want to be with them at all times. But put your pooch in a kennel in the backseat or have a passenger hold them while you are driving. You wouldn’t want to harm yourself or your favourite fur ball now would you?!
9. Eating or Drinking while driving-I’m sure we have ALL done this at some point in our lives, but if you need to eat at least get something very small so that you are still able to have both hands on the wheel (most of the time). There may be exceptions for truckers or long road trips, but bring someone along for the ride so you can switch drivers..or have the passenger feed you like your mom did as a child making the airplane noise, whichever you prefer.
10. Fumbling with Technology- Yes there are such things as DVD players in vehicles, iPod’s, navigation systems, the list goes on. But why would you fumble around with all this technology when you could just buy a Ford from Capital Ford that is equipped with the MyFord Touch and the sync system? This state of the art technology allows you to manage your phone, music, navigation and entertainment all from the touch of a button or a simple voice command. If you’re lonely on a Friday night and have talked to every girl/guy on the dating channel, the Sync system will talk to you 24/7 and keep you company.
The next time you hit the road, keep in mind these 10 tips. For your safety!